how to make an endless opportunities dress

This is the dress from my last post. I bet you didn’t know you could wear it a million different ways…
dress1
dress2
And there’s still more ways. Cool huh?
Want to make it yourself? Here’s how:
You will end up needing several yards of jersey fabric.
First make a circle skirt. Circle skirts are incredibly easy. There’s a great tutorial over here on Made.
But stop just before you sew on the waist band.
You’re now going to cut two really really ridiculously long rectangles.
To get the measurements for the rectangle, measure from between your chest to under your armpit. That’s the short side of the rectangle.
For the long side, take your height and add it to half of your height. For example, I’m 5’4″, or 64 inches. So the long side of my rectangle was 64″+32″ for a total of 92 inches.
Use these measurements to cut out your two long rectangles.
You can now go on to sew on the waistband to the skirt. Along with the waistband, you will sew the rectangles to the skirt. To do this, lay out your skirt flat with the right side up. Now pin one of the short sides from each rectangle to the skirt waist, right sides of the triangles facing the right side of the skirt. You want them to overlap an inch or two. Now pin the waistband to the skirt. Sew everything together!
This dress is very forgiving and people with basic sewing skills can make this.
Get creative with all the ways you can wear it as a dress. You can also hike it up high to create a tunic top or wrap the straps around your waist several time to create a skirt.
Endless opportunities.

Sara Shoemaker says:

completely amazing, as usual. I am a Big believer in wearing one item a billion ways.

The House of Shoes

Krista says:

Oh me too!!! Except for underpants. One way. No argument :)

Kassie says:

I absolutely love this! I wish I knew how to sew!
Awesome job!

xocydcharisseox says:

i just made this today in all black and i LOVE it!

DaniSG2237 says:

I love this dress and I had my own little "my precious" moment about that fabric :) I just found your blog today and I love it. You're awesome!

Julia says:

Can you give some clarity with a little more explanation or maybe share some assembly pictures? I really want to make this dress, but I’m having a hard time visualizing the assembly. This will be my first try at making clothing, but since you say the most basic sewing skills can make it. I think I can do it. I understand the circle skirt and the rectangle measurements. The part I’m struggling with is how to attach the two rectangle panels with the elastic to the skirt.

Hi Julia! Thank you for your honest comment. I wrote this post when I first started blogging, and there were definitely some gaps in the instructions. I’m such a jerk. Thank you for bringing this up. I just edited the post to hopefully make more sense. Sadly, I made this dress before I started blogging so I don’t have any pictures. Check out the updated post, and hopefully the directions will be more clear! Comment back if you need more help! I’d be happy to answer any questions!