upcycled thursdays: printed shirtdress

040512.1

This was such a fun upcycle! This purple dress has been sitting in my closet for years. Yes, years. I bought it from Target at some crazy low price thinking I would wear it all the time. Fast forward a few years and it hasn’t been worn once. It was time to give it a new life.

040512.4

I started by dying the dress with Rit dye. Then I created a polka dot template and used fabric dye to carefully paint each circle. It took a lot of time and patience, but I adore this new dress!

040512.5

040512.3

This was the first article of clothing that I’ve printed this way. I must say, I’ve become a fan! It was a ton of fun and now I have more projects racing thru my head. Have you ever printed anything?

040512.2

Lizzie says:

Awww this dress is so adorable!! yay for fun and cute diy projects!

you are lookin mighty cute with that baby bump :)

xo
Lizzie
placeclevertitlehere.blogspot.com

Hannah Jean says:

This is a big improvement, now it's super cute and original!

Gentri says:

WOW!! That's incredible!!! SUCH a cute dress!

Doobee says:

Wouldn't pick them as the same dress – brilliant work!!!

Ana from Sweet Serendipity says:

So adorable!! And you are by far the cutest pregnant lady :)

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style says:

What a great DIY! I am just starting to find out about the wonders of fabric paint. The last time I used it was when it was neon and puffy and I was making camp t-shirts.

Heather Feather says:

Great refashion! The colors are fabulous.
I just started printing fabric, and absolutely LOVE it. And since there isn't a great selection for boys knits, I'm definitely going to print knits for my son.

Fictitious Fashion says:

Now how did you do it.. Aren't you just talented??? Very!! Love the dress and the transition!!! :)
N you look beautiful dear :)

New post is up- White in Night

Enter Blog Contest. The prize would be a Forever 21 necklace :) and

Facebook Contest: The prize would be a Forever 21 set of 5 rings :)

Georgie says:

I love it!! that´s a great idea! :)

annie and m says:

What an amazing dress transformation! I started a fibers degree in college (but decided to have more babies before I finished) and learned how to dye fabric and paint on it. I miss that process & seeing you in this dress totally makes me want to get back into it.
PS – Your baby bump is adorable :)

Michael Ann says:

Oh my goodness this dress is fabulous! As is your blog! I am just so glad I stumbled here today, new favorite for sure :)

Well welcome Michael Ann! I’m happy found found me! Thanks for the comment :)

I also just found your blog and I am in love! This dress is so adorable! I need to get over my fear of fabric dye and try it out :) Your tutorials/refashions make me want to do more and make mine better! Thanks for sharing!

Excellent! Fabric dyeing is tons of fun! I did a tutorial on how to dye your clothes if you need it. You can find it under the tutorials tab. If you’re afraid, try dyeing a couple things you’re okay if they don’t turn out perfect. Good luck and I’m glad you found my blog! Welcome :)

[…] Printed Shirtdress – Turn a washed-out old dress into a super sweet polkadot frock in vibrant colors. […]