upcycled thursdays : lace jacket

IMG_9299IMG_9318I bought this little lacy jacket at a thrift a little while ago with the intent to dye it. I posted this picture on Instagram asking for your opinions on color. I LOVED hearing your suggestions! If I had my way, I would have gone with the mint suggestion. And why did I not have my way? Because this blasted jacket is 100% polyester. I wrote this post on how to dye your cotton clothing, but polyester is a whole different story. The first time I dyed something polyester, I used Rit dye. I spent about an hour dyeing it and when I rinsed it out, not a single bit of color stuck! I take that back. The thread in the seams dyed. I figured that I had done something wrong, so I tried to dye it again! Same results. I think I tried dyeing it a total of three times before I gave up. It was may years later that I figured out why it wouldn’t take the dye. That dress is still hanging in my closet in it’s horrible original color. I will conquer it someday.

As you can see, polyester dyeing drives me mad. For one, you can’t use Rit dye or anything similar. You have to use a certain type of dye, and the polyester dyes available in stores are sadly limited. I had just a few color choices, so I decided to take a chance on a green hoping it would turn an on-trend emerald color. I was pleasantly surprised with the way it turned out.

Have you ever had any bad dyeing experiences like my dress story? Oh, please do share!

Oh pretty! I’ve been thinking about dyeing lace, and it looks like yours turned out great!
One time I tried to dye white capris a pretty coral. They came out more of a pale scarlet, but somehow it also dyed towels, underwear, socks . . . pink.

I’ve totally dyed other things in the laundry accidentally too! Haha! I’ve learned to wash newly dyed things a few times on their own.

Marie says:

Lovely, and the green is a great color for you-

Juliana says:

I love it! And your hair. Man, you’re looking great!

Stop it. You’re lovely :)

Natasha says:

I think it might be a good thing you couldn’t go mint…this color is so amazing on you!

Thanks Natasha! I’m happy I didn’t do mint as well :)

Tara says:

This color is great! I actually was doing some research on a project in the making and I was looking for a certain color lining for a dress. I couldn’t find what I was looking for and so I was considering dyeing the color I needed. But the lining i was looking at was polyester and the source of my research indicated that because polyester is man made and due to the process it goes through to make it -it is basically resistant to dyes such as Rit. The source actually described dyeing it as similar to dyeing a plastic bag–LOL! That the dye would just roll off of it. So I actually know exactly what you’re talking about–the timing of your post was magnificent :-)

Excellent! Great minds… right!?

Jannapy says:

Your lace is much improved by the new color, which looks super good with your hair and eyes! I tried 3 times to get the dye out of khaki pants so I could dye them yellow, but that khaki is some stubborn stuff. I ended up with lime green pants instead…and I loved them! :o)

You are not the first I’ve heard of to have a khaki pants dyeing story! Haha! I’m happy yours turned out great! :)

Charlotte says:

I had a simple long-sleeved cotton shirt that I dyed brown over Christmas Break. The third time I washed it it came out with huuuge stains all over it that looked like grease. I would have thought that it was something in the load of laundry but nothing else had stains on it. Weird.

Oh that is weird!