easy infinity scarf tutorial

One of my favorite accessories is an infinity scarf. It can add a great pop of color to an outfit and it’s much less fussy than regular scarves. And bonus, they’re incredibly easy make! This is an excellent beginner sewer project.First you want to prep your fabric. Prewash it if you want to be able to toss it in the washing machine later. You can use almost any type of fabric for an infinity scarf! Iron and cut one large rectangle. I cut a 22 x 55 inch piece for the scarf I made for this tutorial. My material has a bit of stretch to it and I wanted it cozy and for it to hug close to my neck because I plan on wearing it for winter time. If my material was non-stretch, I probably would have made the length several inches longer. Play around with the width and length. You can make a great variety of scarves by simply changing the dimensions! Remember to take seam allowances into account.Lay your fabric out, fold right side together long ways and pin. Stitch along the pinned edge. Flip right side out. You now have a long tube. Press the seam you just made.Start pinning the two openings of the tube together. I recommend starting by lining up the seams then working your way around. You will not be able to completely pin this closed.Here’s a close up of pinning the openings together. Once you’ve pinned as far as you can, take it to you sewing machine and sew as far as you can. Remember, you won’t be able to sew this completely closed. Carefully work the fabric thru the machine, and when it gets too tough to continue, stop sewing.You’re almost there! You’re now left with something that looks like an actual infinity scarf with a hole. Using a needle and thread, hand stitch the hole closed. Thats it! Once you practice a bit, you can whip out infinity scarves in just a few minutes! Great for yourself and they make great gifts too! Happy sewing!

Dawn says:

Darling scarf and great tutorial. I love the color you chose it is the perfect contrast to your beautiful hair.

Thank you so much for the sweet comment Dawn!

Ruth says:

Nice, cute and really easy! I share it on my facebook.

Thanks Ruth! :)

Judith says:

Thanks for this tutorial! Will definitely be whipping up a few ready for the coming winter months ahead. Love your fabric choice, beautiful fresh colour for winter wearing…J

Thank you Judith! The fabric was my mom’s and I’ve been waiting for the perfect project for it :)

Amanda says:

Geez, now I want to make an infinity scarf! It seems like the perfect first project to try and overcome my fear of stretch knit fabric. This will definitely be in mind when I visit the fabric store later today!

It would be the PERFECT first project! If you know how to use the zig-zag stitch on your machine, use that while sewing. If not, don’t worry :) The great thing about an infinity scarf is that if you mess up a bit, like it ends up puckering, it’s easy to hide when you have your scarf on! Good luck! I’d love to hear how it goes!

Rana says:

OMG! Love this tutorial…. and love your blog!! so happy I found it, I am adding it to my bookmarks! :)

newfoundlandlove.blogspot.com

Thank you Rana! And welcome to my blog! :)

[...] de vriendin die van sjaaltjes houdt: een infinity scarf . Stof: Nani [...]

Amy H says:

I have looked at 5 or 6 other tutorials on infinity scarves, and yours is the only one with a clear photo of how to pin the ends of the tube together. I have read all sorts of confusing descriptions and squinted at a million weird, dark photos, but yours is so easy to see! THANK YOU! It’s teacher appreciation week, and I’d like to make these for my kids’ teachers, but I had almost given up on figuring out how to do it. I love your blog!

Thank you for your sweet comment Amy!!! It made my day! I’m so happy you found what you needed! I think scarves are great gifts and I’m sure you kids’ teachers will love the :)

Susan says:

thanks! I just read your tutorial and whipped one up for my niece!

Awesome! It’s so easy, right?

Pam Montini says:

I watched several tutorials, but yours is the best!!! Some of the others sometimes don’t even make sense OR they don’t seem to have the end result.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m so happy this worked for you! And you are welcome! ;)

Steph says:

Thank you SO MUCH for this extremely easy and clear tutorial. I am 28, and decided last week it was time I finally stop saying I want to sew and actually do it. I thought infinity scarves would be easy, but other tutorials made closing the loop seem so difficult and confusing. Yours was crystal clear and easy to follow. I’m VERY happy to say that my very first project was this, and it looks great! And it didn’t take me long at all! Thank you again!!!

Comments like this make my day! Thank you for leaving it! I love hearing when someone starts sewing. Good luck with your new sewing adventure! A seam ripper will become, and will reamin, your best friend ;) Haha!

Great tutorial! I tried on my own and ended up with a nice lined tube, argh!
You made it very clear and easy. I’m off and running for Christmas Presents!
Thank-you!

[…] just finished my first infinity scarf. I followed this tutorial but made a few changes. My finished scarf is 10.5 inches x 67 inches long. The top […]